Navitas family bursaries
Navitas offers financial support in the form of family bursaries. A bursary applies where two or more students from the same family study with a Navitas member institution.*
The first family member can be studying with a Navitas member institution at the same time as other family members, or they may have previously studied with any Navitas member institution. The bursary is granted to the second and subsequent family members who study with a Navitas member institution. For the purpose of this bursary, a family member is defined as a husband, wife, brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter or stepchild.
The bursary is equivalent to 10 percent of tuition fee for the first attempt at units or courses in the programme of study (ie a certificate, diploma, University Transfer Programme (UTP), University Pathway Programme, bachelor's degree, pre-master's programme, postgraduate qualifying programme or master's degree)† with a Navitas member institution (excluding the Mixed English option)‡. This amount is credited to the eligible student's tuition fee account each academic term, with the amount being relevant to the number of units undertaken in that term. The bursary applies to the first program of study only undertaken at a Navitas member institution and does not apply to additional units or repeat units that may also be undertaken.
A completed application must be submitted to the Navitas institution where the second family member is studying, together with supporting documents such as a birth certificate or family card.§ Application forms can be obtained from the Navitas institution where the student has enrolled.
The bursary is equivalent to 10% of the tuition fee for up to 8 units of study within one program only with a Navitas member institution. The bursary does not apply to additional units or repeat units that may also be undertaken and excludes mixed English options.
- Family Bursary applies where two or more students from the same family study at a Navitas institution.
- The first family member can be studying at a Navitas institution at the same time as the other family members or may have studied at any Navitas institution previously.
- The family bursary is granted to the second and subsequent family members who study at a Navitas institution.
- Not have previously received a Navitas scholarship or bursary, or had a scholarship or bursary from Navitas withdrawn.
For the purpose of this bursary, a family member is defined as a husband, wife, brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter or stepchild.
- Successful recipients will not receive any money from the Navitas member institution. The value of the bursary will be recorded on the student's account each semester of study.
- The bursary does not apply to additional units or repeat units that may also be undertaken.
- Navitas bursary is not applicable to English language program or any component of any English language program offered by Navitas member institutions.
Navitas member institutions
The Navitas bursary applies to students studying at BCUIC, Curtin College, Curtin Singapore, CRIC, Deakin College, EIBT, EIC, Eynesbury, FIC, Griffith College, HIC, ICM, ICP, ICRGU, ICWS, La Trobe Melbourne, La Trobe University Sydney Campus, LBIC, NIC, PUIC, PIBT, SAIBT, SIBT, Navitas at FAU, Navitas at UMass Boston, Navitas at UMass Dartmouth, Navitas at UMass Lowell, Navitas at UNH, UC College, UCIC, UNIC, Western Sydney University International College, and Western Sydney University – Sydney City Campus.
A completed application must be submitted to the Navitas institution together with supporting documents, such as birth certificate, or family card. Application form can be obtained from the Navitas institution where the student has enrolled.
Merit Award policy
Navitas, therein Edinburgh International College, is committed to helping students achieve their goals by offering awards to outstanding students.** These awards are part of the College’s academic agenda to encourage students to achieve excellence in their studies.
Who is eligible for the award?
All students who have successfully completed their first trimester at EIC will be eligible for one of the awards. A student can only win one award. Sponsored students are eligible for these awards.
What types of awards are on offer?
- Academic Merit
- This award is to reward outstanding academic achievement and as such the prize is awarded to the student who has passed all of his/her first trimester modules at EIC with the highest average mark.
- Standardly, an award will only be made when the student has passed all of his/her first trimester modules, achieved a minimum average mark of 65% across all of their modules and has maintained a minimum attendance rate of 85% (excluding approved absences).
- Effort & Engagement
- This prize is to reward effort and engagement with the College and as such the prize is awarded to the student with the most “dedicated engagement” in his/her first trimester of studies at EIC.
- Standardly, an award will only be made when the student has passed all of his/her first trimester modules and has maintained a minimum attendance rate of 90% (excluding approved absences).
- EIC lecturers and admin/support staff will be asked to nominate one first trimester student for this award. Nominations should be broadly based on the following criteria;
- Attendance in class and for College/University meetings and events
- Punctuality in class and for College/University meetings and events
- Positive engagement in class, e.g. participation in class, willingness to engage in group work with peers and the lecturer, attending class well prepared
- Completing and submitting class homework and reading on time
- Positive engagement with the College in general, e.g. willingness to support the College’s Student Council, attendance at extra-curricular events
Further details that apply to both awards
- A student must be enrolled as a full time student at EIC to qualify for the award.
- Students studying on pre-sessional English programmes are not eligible for either award until they begin their first academic trimester at EIC.
- A student is eligible to qualify for the award after successful completion of their first trimester and after commencing their second trimester at EIC or after commencing their Master’s degree at Edinburgh Napier University.
- A student can only be given the award once. Debtors are not eligible for the award. However, if they promptly clear their debt the award may be granted.
- Sponsored students are eligible for these awards.
- The award is in the form of vouchers to a value of £500.00 from John Lewis, Amazon or Blackwells or, upon written request by the student, a different source which is deemed by the Academic Board to be acceptable.
- Awards are confirmed by the College’s senior management team or board of examiners.
- Recipients are notified by email in advance of an award prize giving in an EIC class (ideally between weeks 4 – 6 of the trimester).
- The prize giving ceremony should be attended by the College Principal, a member of the student & academic services team and a member of the marketing team in order to film and take photos.
- The purpose of the prize giving is to reward the winners as well as to create awareness for the next group of first trimester students. Lecturers are also encouraged to inform students about the award in their class(es). Information about the award is also communicated to students via Facebook, the student portal and student services.
- Where the Board must differentiate between equally qualified applicants, additional factors such as educational disadvantage, membership of a specific equity group and/or significantly adverse personal circumstances may be taken into account.
- Two awards are offered per semester but if no students’ performance is ‘outstanding’ based on the criteria outlined no award will be made. Therefore, the College may make two, one or no awards in any semester.
* The Navitas family bursary applies to students studying at ACBT, ACN, AUSI, BCUIC, Curtin College, Curtin Sydney, Curtin Singapore, CRIC, EIBT, EIC, Eynesbury, FIC, HIC, ICM, ICP, ICRGU, ICWS, La Trobe Melbourne, LIBT, Macquarie City Campus, MIBT, MIBT Indonesia, NIC, PIBT, PUIC, QIBT, SAIBT, SIBT, Navitas at UMass Boston, Navitas at UMass Dartmouth, Navitas at UMass Lowell, Navitas at WKU and Navitas at UNH only.
† Certificate programmes may also be known or registered a Foundation Studies or University Transfer Programme Stage I. Diploma programmes may also be known or registered as Undergraduate Pathway, University Transfer Programme Stage II or University Pathway Programme.
‡ The Navitas bursary is not applicable to any English language programme or any component of an English language programme offered by a Navitas member institution.
§ The supporting documentation that is required will depend on the country where the student is enrolled.
** Navitas academic merit awards are offered to students studying in the UK at CRIC, EIC, HIC, ICP, ICRGU, ICWS, LIBT, PUIC and BCUIC only. This information is correct as at the time of printing and may be subject to change without notice or at the discretion of Navitas member institutions or Navitas Limited.